Up to 4 days per month
Ofcom is the regulator for the UK communications industries, with responsibilities across television, radio, telecommunications, wireless communications and postal services. These include responsibility for overseeing television and radio broadcasting throughout the United Kingdom, including regulating the BBC under its new Charter. The Content Board is a committee of the main Ofcom Board, with delegated and advisory responsibility for a wide range of content issues. The Content Board plays a crucial role in the regulation of television, radio and video-on-demand quality and standards. Increasingly however, these issues are set within the wider context of changes in communications markets, and particularly the role of the internet and digital media in shaping future approaches to regulation.
We are seeking to recruit new non-executive members to join the Content Board, including two individuals specifically capable of representing the interests and opinions of people living in Scotland and Northern Ireland respectively. We are particularly interested in candidates who have digital or new media experience, with an appreciation of the fast-changing nature of these sectors and the challenges they can pose. We are seeking candidates who have:
- a good understanding of the principles and practice of content regulation, preferably gained from the industry side;
- an excellent understanding of broadcasting policy and regulatory issues, the UK media policy landscape and relevant international context;
- an understanding of the needs of consumers and citizens, and an ability to work well with colleagues from the devolved Nations on policy and consumer issues;
- sound judgement and decision-making to ensure successful delivery in a highly complex organisation;
- the ability to operate at Board level and be team players working with the Content Board Chairman and other colleagues;
- personal integrity of a high order; demonstrable understanding of Ofcom’s need to make independent judgements under pressure; no conflicts arising from any commercial or political interests; and
- a track record of good editorial judgement and decision-making at a senior level in broadcasting is also desirable.
Content Board Members are required to act in accordance with Ofcom’s code of conduct. The sifting process will be based on all the evidence provided by the candidate. Failure to demonstrate how you successfully meet each of the competencies specified above will have a direct bearing on whether you will be shortlisted to interview. Ofcom is an equal opportunities employer and committed to equality of opportunity for all. Applications are welcomed from individuals from all sections of society regardless of gender, marital status, sexual orientation, ethnic origin, religious belief, political opinion, disability, age, or whether or not the applicant has dependants. As an accredited Two Ticks employer and in line with Ofcom’s Disability Action Plan for Northern Ireland, we guarantee an interview to disabled applicants who meet all the criteria listed above.
Saxton Bampfylde Ltd is acting as an employment agency advisor to Ofcom on this appointment. For more information, including how to apply, please refer to the website of Saxton Bampfylde at www.saxbam.com/jobs using job reference QYXF. Alternatively email firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone +44 (0)20 7227 0880 (during office hours). Applications should be received by noon on Tuesday 19th December 2017.