Salary: Up to £120,000
ARTICLE 19 works for a world where all people everywhere can freely express themselves and actively engage in public life without fear of discrimination.
We do this by working on two interlocking freedoms: The Freedom to Speak, and the Freedom to Know. When either of these freedoms come under threat, ARTICLE 19 speaks with one voice. Our teams defend freedom of expression and access to information from nine regional hubs around the world, delivering change through local as well as international influence. We have teams leading advocacy in cities such as New York and Dhaka, and thematic experts driving policy change in places as diverse as Nairobi and Tunis.
We have undergone a period of significant growth over the last six years, and we are seeking our next Executive Director to lead ARTICLE 19 through unprecedented challenges to freedom of expression globally. Our ideal candidate will have a way of working that will reflect the resilience and diversity needed to meet the challenges of leading an international non-government organization, a successful record of accomplishment of advocacy strategy and the capability to lead change mobilised by ARTICLE 19’s values.
We are looking for an exceptional leader who will represent ARTICLE 19 and act as a spokesperson for freedom of information issues at an international level, whilst providing strong leadership and oversight for the ARTICLE 19 movement, across fundraising, finance, operational delivery, and risk management within an international organisation.
This is an extraordinary opportunity to be a leader in the movement battling against the increasing erosion of freedom of expression and information around the globe. If you are a brave and experienced leader who has operated at an international level and is passionate about our mission, then we would love to hear from you.
Key responsibilities will include:
• Enable a shared vision across the ARTICLE 19 movement through development and implementation of a new ARTICLE 19 global strategy
• Provide oversight and direction to ARTICLE 19’s strategic planning processes and align global and regional priorities with ARTICLE 19’s mission and values
• Develop an organisational strategy that promotes good governance, well-being and strong systems for staff, partners and associates across the movement
Leadership and global influence
• Ensure continuity of purpose for ARTICLE 19, operating as a spokesperson for freedom of expression issues at international and high-level events
• Articulate and cultivate ARTICLE 19’s voice in the international media to enhance ARTICLE 19’s global profile, influence and identity
• Build a team of Senior Leaders operating in a diversity of contexts, creating a culture of collaborative working, to ensure effective cooperation across the organisation’s international and regional offices and affiliates
• Provide inspirational leadership and direction to managers and staff, role modelling ARTICLE 19 values
• Strengthen decision-making processes that will enable ARTICLE 19 to achieve its long and short-term goals and objectives
• Lead on the management and development of global relationships between the international and regional offices of ARTICLE 19 to ensure sustainability and good communication
• Cultivate a strong and transparent working relationship with the International Board, General Assembly and Regional Boards to ensure a culture of good governance.
• Promote open communication and transparency in learning from monitoring and evaluation and of financial and programmatic performance against statement milestones and goals
• Ensure ARTICLE 19 activities comply with the rules of the UK Charity Commission including reports to the UK Charity Commission and Companies House
Financial Sustainability and Oversight
• Lead global resource mobilization to ensure organizational sustainability and growth
• Oversee the development of a fundraising strategy that will diversify and grow existing income streams, including cultivation of high network individuals
• Set global budgetary priorities to effectively achieve global strategic and operational plans and ensure value for money
The experience and capabilities required are:
• Previous executive experience of fundraising, finance, operational delivery and risk management within an international organisation
• Ability to inspire an organisation to influence through collective leadership and meaningful participation
• Evidence of leading change that demonstrates the capability to lead change mobilised by ARTICLE 19 values to provide good governance and management compliance across ARTICLE 19 Affiliates, Branches and the UK based International office
• ARTICLE 19 has expertise in the field of Freedom of Expression and has a strong technical base, therefore whilst general knowledge of the right to freedom of expression is required, expertise in at least one of ARTICLE 19 policy areas such as Media, Digital Rights or Freedom of Information is an advantage
• Recognition of the importance of relationships and demonstrable emotional intelligence to build and sustain multiple relationships across the ARTICLE 19 movement
• A successful record of accomplishment in advocacy strategy
• Previous experience of mentoring senior leaders and holding people to account
• A way of working that will reflect the resilience and diversity needed to meet the challenges of leading an international non-government organisation
• Fluency in English and one of the following languages would be welcomed: French, Spanish, Portuguese or Arabic
Terms of Appointment
This will be a permanent, full time position based in our head office in London.
The salary will be up to £120,000 per annum.
For candidates recruited outside of the UK, ARTICLE 19 will provide visa sponsorship and relocation support for flights and temporary accommodation for the first month of employment.
Our benefits package includes:
• 8% pension contributions
• Health Assured employee assistance programme
• 25 days annual leave
• Well-being programme
• Dental Insurance
• Life Assurance
• Cycle to work scheme
• Season Ticket Loan
ARTICLE 19 is passionate about the enormous benefits of a diverse organisation. We actively and warmly encourage applications from a broad and deep range of backgrounds and experiences.
Saxton Bampfylde Ltd is acting as an employment agency advisor to ARTICLE 19 on this appointment. For further information about the role, including details about how to apply, please visit www.saxbam.com/appointments using reference UAJAF. Alternatively, telephone +44 (0)20 7227 0880 (during office hours). Applications should be received by 5pm on Tuesday 14th April.