The Powell-Cotton Trust is an independent charitable trust based in Birchington, Kent, and is made up of three distinct but linked elements:
- The Powell-Cotton Museum, which has a diverse collection built up by the Powell-Cotton family and their associates, including mammal specimens, ethnographic objects, archaeological objects, firearms, fine art and furniture and an extensive library and archive of documents, photographs and film;
- Quex House, the former Powell-Cotton family home, a Georgian manor with extensive Edwardian alterations; and,
- Gardens, consisting of the extensive garden that belongs to the house as well as the walled kitchen garden.
The Trust is at a very exciting point in its history, being on the cusp of receiving a significant inheritance that assures its financial future. The Trust is now implementing its new 5-year strategic plan centred around three key objectives; financial sustainability, in recognition that it cannot solely rely on its inheritance and must engage in actively growing its income from both fundraising and commercially based activities; collection sustainability – continuing the preservation of the collection as well as developing the gardens; and, impact and inclusion – continuing to develop how the Trust engages its audiences to ensure that it is relevant and available to all.
The Trust now seeks a new CEO to lead it through this exciting time as it looks to implement its new strategic plan focused on increasing its reach, relevance and impact within the local community as well as nationally and internationally. The new CEO will develop and grow all that the Trust does, setting the direction of travel for the next 100 years. They will work closely with Trustees, staff and stakeholders to develop the charity and the capabilities needed to succeed and sustain its growth and impact.
The ideal candidate will be:
- An amazing leader who can bring experience, determination and passion;
- An entrepreneur who can help the Trust grow the charity and all that it does for its local community as well as nationally and internationally;
- Highly engaging, building relationships with all stakeholders, from volunteers, staff and trustees to partners such as community groups, project partners, other relevant museums and bodies, neighbours on the estate, and the Powell-Cotton family;
- Passionate that the Trust utilises all of its resources from the museum, house and gardens to deliver an outstanding experience and range of services.
As an equal opportunity employer and an organisation who passionately believes in inclusion and equality, the Powell-Cotton Trust are open to applicants from all backgrounds, not just those from a museum or even charity sector. If you can demonstrate that you are a passionate leader, who can engage with a broad range of stakeholders and help the Trust grow for the future, then we want to hear from you.
Saxton Bampfylde Ltd is acting as an employment agency advisor to the Powell-Cotton Trust on this appointment. For further information about the role, including details about how to apply, please visit www.saxbam.com/appointments using reference JBMLA. Alternatively telephone +44 (0)20 7227 0880 (during office hours). Applications should be received by noon on Monday 11th December 2023.